Looking for American Express Travel Insurance Review? You’ve come to the right place.
American Express is a well-known financial institution, but did you know that they also offer travel insurance? This type of insurance can be a great way to protect yourself and your family while you’re on vacation.
However, like any insurance policy, there are some things you should know before you purchase American Express Travel Insurance.
In this article, we’ll take a look at the good, the bad, and the ugly of American Express travel insurance.
Some good reasons to buy American Express travel insurance include the following:
- American Express is a well-known and trusted brand, so you can be confident that you’re getting a quality product.
- The company has a long history of providing excellent customer service, so you can be sure that you’ll be taken care of if you need to make a claim.
- American Express offers a variety of coverage options, so you can tailor your policy to your specific needs.
- The company offers competitive pricing on its policies, so you can get the coverage you need without breaking the bank.
In this article...
American Express Travel Insurance Review: The Good
As with any travel insurance, American Express Travel Insurance has its pros and cons. Here are some of the good things about this policy:
- Children under 18 are covered for free
- For every adult who purchases a policy, one child under 18 can travel free. If you have more than one child, you may purchase additional coverage for up to two more children.
- Covers pre-existing medical conditions
- Most policies will not cover any pre-existing medical conditions that you have. However, American Express Travel Insurance does cover pre-existing medical conditions as long as you meet the following requirements:
- You have been symptom-free for at least 90 days prior to your departure date
- You have not sought medical advice or attention during that time period
- You have purchased the policy within 21 days of making the first deposit on your trip
- Travel delay benefits
- American Express Travel Insurance covers delays of more than six hours due to weather, transportation, or other causes beyond your control. You will be reimbursed for expenses such as deals, lodging, and transportation.
- Baggage and personal effects
- This policy will reimburse you for any lost, stolen, or damaged luggage, personal belongings, and electronics while you are on your trip.
American Express Travel Insurance Review: The Bad
If you have a very good credit score and are looking for multiple insurance benefits, American Express Travel Insurance may not be the best option.
Because American Express Travel Insurance is only available to American Express cardholders, it can’t cover the same number of people as other policies.
American Express Travel Insurance also doesn’t cover every destination or trip length, so if you want to insure a longer or more adventurous trip, you’ll need to look elsewhere.
American Express Travel Insurance: The Bottom Line
Overall, American Express Travel Insurance offers some very good coverage options, including flight accidents and baggage protection.
American Express Travel Insurance also has a solid reputation in the travel insurance industry, so if you have an American Express card, it’s definitely worth considering.
How Does American Express Travel Insurance Work?
American Express Travel Insurance is underwritten by New Hampshire Insurance Company, a member of the Chubb Group of Insurance Companies.
When you purchase a policy, you will receive a certificate of insurance that outlines the terms of your coverage.
If you need to file a claim, you will need to submit a completed claim form along with any supporting documentation. Claims are typically processed within 10 business days.
Also read: Best Health Insurance Companies for Expats
What does American Express Travel Insurance cover?
American Express Travel Insurance can cover a variety of things including trip cancellation, lost or stolen baggage, and emergency medical expenses.
Some features of American Express travel insurance include emergency medical and dental coverage, trip cancellation and interruption protection, lost baggage protection, and 24/7 customer service.
There are many reasons why people might prefer American Express travel insurance to other options.
Some might find that the coverage is more comprehensive, while others might appreciate the company’s reputation for customer service.
Additionally, American Express is a well-known brand, so some people might feel more comfortable buying insurance from them. (Source)
Does an American Express card cover trip cancellation?
Trip cancellation coverage is not automatically included with American Express cards, but can be purchased as an add-on.
How much does American Express Travel Insurance cost?
The cost of American Express Travel Insurance varies depending on the plan you choose and the length of your trip.
Also, the cost of American Express Travel Insurance will vary depending on a number of factors, such as the destination, length of trip, and type of coverage selected.
However, as a general guide, American Express Travel Insurance typically costs between 5-10% of the total trip cost.
What are the benefits of American Express Travel Insurance?
American Express Travel Insurance is one of the best insurance plans available to Americans. This is because it offers a variety of benefits, including:
- Cancel for Any Reason: If you need to cancel your trip due to a change in your status or circumstances, you can get a refund without being charged a cancellation fee.
- Trip Cancellation and Interruption: If you have to cancel or cut your trip short for any reason, American Express Travel Insurance will pay for the cost of your trip.
- Lost Luggage and Personal Effects: This coverage is included as standard and can be purchased as an add-on.
- Emergency Evacuation and Transportation: You can also purchase this coverage as an add-on.
- Cancellation and Interruption for Mental Health Reasons: This coverage is included as standard and can be purchased as an add-on.
How to buy American Express Travel Insurance?
American Express Travel Insurance can be purchased online or by calling the toll-free number (1-888-676-7267). American Express Travel Insurance is available only to individuals who are United States residents.
What are the drawbacks of American Express Travel Insurance?
There are a few drawbacks to American Express Travel Insurance.
First, it is not available to everyone. You must have an American Express card to purchase the insurance.
Second, the coverage is not as comprehensive as some other travel insurance policies. It does not cover trip cancellation or interruption, and it has limited medical and evacuation benefits.
Is American Express Travel Insurance worth it?
American Express Travel Insurance can be worth it depending on your needs. If you often travel and feel that you need insurance coverage, then it may be a good idea to enroll in their program.
American Express Travel Insurance can be worth it for overseas travelers if they feel that the coverage and benefits are worth the cost of the policy.
Some of the things that travelers should consider when determining if the policy is worth the cost include: the deductible, the length of the trip, the destination, and the activities that will be undertaken while on the trip.
Who Should Buy American Express Travel Insurance?
American Express Travel Insurance is designed for travelers who want protection from a variety of potential mishaps. The coverage is broad and can be customized to include trip cancellation, medical expenses, baggage loss, and more.
American Express Travel Insurance is meant for American Express cardholders who want to insure themselves and their belongings while traveling.
How To Make A Claim With American Express Travel Insurance
If you need to make a claim with American Express Travel Insurance, you can do so by logging into your account on the American Express website.
From there, you will need to click on the “Claims” tab and follow the instructions on the screen.
You will be required to provide some basic information about your claim, as well as any supporting documentation.
What American Express Travel Insurance Covers
American Express Travel Insurance covers a variety of things including trip cancellation, trip interruption, emergency medical expenses, and lost or stolen baggage.
What American Express Travel Insurance Does Not Cover
American Express Travel Insurance does not cover any damage caused by an act of terrorism.
American Express Travel Insurance vs. Other Insurers
American Express is one of the top travel insurance companies in many countries.
It offers a range of cover for domestic and international trips as well as cover for cruises, winter sports, and business trips. You can also add cover for rental car excess and personal liability.
American Express cover is designed to offer comprehensive protection for travelers. It includes cover for canceled flights, lost or stolen luggage, medical expenses, and rental car excess.
American Express also offers a range of additional benefits such as 24/7 emergency assistance, concierge service, and access to a range of exclusive deals and discounts.
If you’re looking for comprehensive coverage and a range of additional benefits, American Express is a great option.
What are some good alternatives to American Express Travel Insurance?
Some good alternatives to American Express Travel Insurance are Allianz Travel Insurance, Travelex Insurance Services, and World Nomads.